Facebook Badge

Michael Jackson

Monday, January 19, 2009

The dawning of a new era...

In honor of Dr. King's holiday, I would like to begin with one of his famous quotes:

Now, I say to you today my friends, even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: - 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.'
Martin Luther King Jr., Speech at Civil Rights March on Washington, August 28, 1963US black civil rights leader & clergyman (1929 - 1968)



When I first heard that quote as a child, I was struck first by the passion of the statement and the hope it promised. I am now keenly aware that his words were prolific and spoke of a hope we had lost but longed for.

Like Mrs. Obama, I too am proud for the first time of our country. We have shown the world that in spite of our differences we can come together for the betterment of all. Just as Mr. Obama has said, we all rise and fall as one nation. To me that call to service is more relevant today than ever and we have to get back to the old tenant of one for all...


Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable... Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals. Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment